Our Lady of Wisdom opened its doors in 1948 as St. Albert the Great parish in order to serve the growing community of the University of Nevada, Reno. The population of the area soon grew so rapidly that an additional church was built two miles away. St. Albert the Great moved to the new building and the existing location became a mission parish called Our Lady of Wisdom, dedicated to providing a Catholic ministry to the students and faculty of a secular university.
Our Lady of Wisdom eventually became its own parish in 1965. We’ve added on to the original brick sanctuary to include parish offices, a gathering hall, and an entire floor with a game room, lounge and library for college students. We provide a place where students can socialize, grow in their faith, form life-long friendship and be equipped for mission as disciples of Jesus Christ.
Even though the focus of our ministry is on college students and university staff, we welcome others to join us in our worship and mission, especially recent alumni and members of the extended Catholic community of Reno. We’re blessed with many volunteers who give of their time, talent, and treasure to assist in our mission.
We provide various opportunities for spiritual growth throughout the year for students including retreats, conferences, bible studies, mission trips, and much more! Of course, we also provide a wide range of social opportunities for students to meet and deepen their friendships. For more information, please take a look under the “Newman” tab on top of the page. Thanks for stopping by and we hope to see you in person soon!